A toned, athletic, and flat abdomen is something that both men and women seek. For a variety of reasons, this appearance may be unattainable through diet and exercise alone because of loose skin, damaged abdominal muscles, or stubborn areas of excess fat. Tummy tuck surgery can offer a nearly permanent solution to these problems. Dr. Ourian, a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, is lauded as performing the best tummy tuck Los Angeles patients can obtain.
Dr. Ourian’s signature Beverly Hills Tummy Tuck, also known as an abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure which removes any excess or loose tissue on the abdomen and tightens or repairs the abdominal six pack muscles. A tummy tuck is an effective option for patients seeking a beautifully toned, flat, and youthful hourglass physique.
At a Glance
Average Cost: Call Us
Surgery Length: 2 - 4 Hours
Recovery Time: 2 Weeks
A tummy tuck is commonly chosen after pregnancy or significant weight loss, as both of these can result in loose skin, damage to the abdominal muscles, or areas of stubborn fat in the lower stomach area. A tummy tuck is a good option for patients dealing with these issues so long as they are generally healthy overall and are at a stable weight.
There are several different techniques for tummy tuck surgery. Dr. Ourian, the top tummy tuck specialist Beverly Hills has available, will determine which procedure will best help you achieve your aesthetic goals.
A full tummy tuck is performed by first making a horizontal incision from hip to hip across the lower abdomen, as well as around the belly button. Through this incision, Dr. Ourian is then able to tighten the six pack abdominal muscles, which can become separated in the center due to pregnancy or other factors, also called a diastasis recti. Excess fat may be removed through liposuction and excess or loose skin may be removed as well. The skin is then pulled taut and down, like a window shade. Finally, Dr. Ourian will reposition the belly button so that it is in a natural-appearing position. The full tummy tuck is performed under general anesthesia and typically takes around three hours to complete.
Mini Tummy Tuck
A mini tummy tuck also called a mini-abdominoplasty, minimal incision tummy tuck, or “scarless tummy tuck”, will often times have a smaller incision than a traditional full tummy tuck. Another major difference is that the belly button will remain in its original position without having an incision around it, or the need for re-positioning, hence the name “scarless”. A mini tummy tuck candidate has a minimal amount of excess skin and fat in the lower abdominal area. The six-pack abdominal muscle can still be tightened through this type of incision.
Extended Tummy Tuck
An extended tummy tuck is for patients who have excess skin and fat that extends into the hips, love handles and onto the back. As such, the incision will be extended onto the flanks and back, but still be hidden below the panty line. The belly button will be repositioned during this procedure.
Dr. Ourian’s Los Angeles abdominoplasty can be paired with a number of other procedures to achieve your aesthetic goals throughout the body.
A tummy tuck is commonly performed after significant weight loss, which may leave patients with loose skin or stubborn pockets of fat. Many Beverly Hills abdominoplasty patients who are experiencing these effects after their weight loss choose to pair the procedure with an arm lift, thigh lift, or body lift to remove excess skin throughout the body. During a consultation, Dr. Ourian can help you determine whether you may benefit from any of these procedures in addition to your tummy tuck.
Another common reason to choose a tummy tuck is to resolve excess tissue or damage to the abdominal muscles after pregnancy. Pregnancy affects multiple areas of the body, and pairing surgeries to address these multiple concerns is typically referred to as a mommy makeover. Dr. Ourian’s mommy makeover may include a breast lift, breast augmentation, or labiaplasty in addition to a tummy tuck.
Finally, some greater Los Angeles tummy tuck patients choose to combine their procedure with liposuction in areas other than the abdomen, such as the arms, thighs, or back. This allows patients to achieve an athletic and toned look throughout the body to complement the results of their tummy tuck, and really achieve an hourglass figure.
What Is Tummy Tuck Recovery Like?
Immediately after your tummy tuck in Beverly Hills, you will require a trusted person, such as a friend or family member, to drive you home and care for you. You will have drains and compression garments in place to aid in proper healing. Dr. Ourian will prescribe pain medication to alleviate discomfort during the early stages of the recovery process. You may also be required to take antibiotics and anticoagulants after the surgery. Most patients will need to rest at home for at least a week after their tummy tuck and will likely be unable to bend at the waist, lift heavier objects, or stand for prolonged periods of time during this time. Swelling is expected but can be reduced by following Dr. Ourian’s directions regarding compression garments and other aftercare practices.
After the first week, most patients are able to resume non-strenuous activities like walking, cooking, or shopping. Some patients, however, take up to two weeks off from work as they recover. Dr. Ourian can help you determine a recovery plan that’s best for your healing process and lifestyle.
In the weeks following your surgery, you will likely experience some swelling, bruising, and a pulling or tight sensation; all of these are normal symptoms. Swelling and bruising may take up to six months to fully dissipate. Dr. Ourian will monitor your healing during follow-up appointments.
The price of a tummy tuck in Los Angeles varies greatly depending on the extent of your surgery, the techniques used, your surgeon’s expertise, and the geographic area where your surgery was performed, among other factors. Dr. Ourian’s patient concierge will give you a more specific estimated price for your procedure during a consultation.
Frequently asked questions
- Can a tummy tuck treat stretch marks or my c-section scar?
- Depending on the location of your c-section scar and stretch marks, a tummy tuck can address these issues. The tummy tuck scar will be made as low as possible, removing your previous c-section scar, and resulting in a scar that is hidden below the panty line. If stretch marks are found below the belly button, this part of the skin may be removed during the tummy tuck, thus removing the stretch marks altogether. Stretch marks located above the belly button cannot be removed.
- Can I get pregnant after a tummy tuck?
- A Beverly Hills tummy tuck does not impact your ability to get pregnant. However, Dr. Ourian advises patients to wait until they are done having children before they undergo a tummy tuck procedure. This is because future pregnancies can result in repeated skin laxity and damage to the abdominal muscles that a tummy tuck aims to resolve.
- Am I a candidate for liposuction of the stomach area instead of a tummy tuck?
- Liposuction is a procedure which removes unwanted fat using a cannula, which is inserted through small incisions in the skin. A tummy tuck removes unwanted fat (which may be achieved through liposuction) as well as excess skin and repairs or tightens the abdominal muscles, also known as a rectus diastasis. If you have excess skin, just having liposuction will not get you the aesthetic results you desire.
- What are the scars like after a tummy tuck?
- The incision of a tummy tuck will often times be from hip to hip. Dr. Ourian makes his incision as low as possible, in order for the scar to be hidden well below the panty line and not visible while wearing a bikini. Dr. Ourian also uses meticulous suturing techniques, which result in better scars.
- Will I need drains after my tummy tuck?
- Depending on the type of tummy tuck procedure you have, you may require the placement of one or two drains. Drains will be kept in place for approximately one week after surgery. They help decrease swelling and bruising, and will speed up the recovery process. You will be able to shower with drains. You will be shown how to take care of your drains during your pre-operative visit.
- Can I get a tummy tuck at the same time as a hysterectomy?
- Many patients choose to have a tummy tuck at the same time as their hysterectomy procedure. Combining these surgeries has several advantages, including going under anesthesia once, and going through one single recovery period. There are many considerations to take into account, and Dr. Ourian will coordinate the surgical plan with your gynecologic surgeon in order to ensure that both procedures are done in a safe manner.