For patients with large breasts, breast reduction surgery can be extremely beneficial for several reasons, making it an increasingly common choice. In addition to creating a balanced and beautiful body contour like other cosmetic procedures, a Beverly Hills breast reduction can help alleviate the many complications associated with excessively large breasts, allowing patients to freely perform their favorite physical exercises and enjoy enhanced self-confidence. Dr. Ourian, a Beverly Hills breast reduction specialist and arguably the best breast reduction surgeon los Angeles has to offer, is proud to offer this life-changing procedure to patients.
Breast reduction surgery, or reduction mammaplasty, is a procedure which reduces and reshapes the breasts to be a more manageable, symmetrical, balanced size and contour. A breast reduction may be chosen for cosmetic purposes, medical purposes, or both as excessively large breasts can cause both emotional and physical distress for many patients. Whatever your reason for choosing a breast reduction, Dr. Ourian is known for providing the best breast reduction Los Angeles patients can obtain with the highest quality care with exceptional results.
At A Glance
Average Cost: Call Us
Surgery Length: 3-4 Hours
Recovery Time: 1 Week
Some patients may choose a Los Angeles breast reduction for purely cosmetic reasons, as they are unhappy with the appearance of their large breasts. However, many others are candidates because they experience physical discomfort as a result of having excessively large breasts, which is referred to medically as “macromastia.” You may be a candidate for breast reduction surgery if you experience any of the following:
- Back, neck, or shoulder pain caused by the weight of large pendulous breasts
- Skin irritation or chafing below the breast crease
- Indentations or discomfort from bra straps
- Difficulty or limitations performing physical activity, including exercising
- Self-consciousness, emotional distress, or other negative feelings about the appearance of your large breasts
While a breast reduction can help alleviate these problems, it is also important to ensure you are generally healthy overall before undergoing the surgery. You should also be at a stable weight before choosing breast reduction. Dr. Ourian will review your health history and determine whether you are a candidate for breast reduction surgery during a thorough consultation.
Dr. Ourian performs breast reduction surgery under general anesthesia. Incisions will be made using one of the following techniques:
In a lollipop breast reduction, also called a vertical reduction, the incision will be made around the areola and vertically down towards the breast crease. This method is effective for patients with a moderate amount of extra breast tissue and drooping.
Anchor Breast Reduction
In an anchor breast reduction, also called wise pattern breast reduction, the incision will be made around the areola, vertically down to the breast crease, and along the breast crease. This technique is reserved for women with a lot of extra breast tissue, severe drooping, and a large amount of excess skin.
Through these incisions, Dr. Ourian will then remove excess breast tissue. The breast will then be lifted and reshaped, with the goal of creating a smaller and more proportionate breast with a shape that is in line with your aesthetic goal. If necessary, the areola may be reduced, and the nipple will be repositioned to a more youthful and natural-looking position. Once these steps are complete, the incisions will be closed.
What is Breast Reduction Recovery Like?
Patients are typically able to go home on the same day as surgery. After your breast reduction, you can expect some swelling in your breasts. Immediately following your procedure, you will need a trusted caregiver, such as a friend or family member, to drive you home and care for you during the early stages of the healing process. You will be required to wear a supportive surgical or sports bra following your surgery and may have drains in place to aid with proper healing. Dr. Ourian will prescribe pain medication to alleviate discomfort through the recovery process.
Many Los Angeles breast reduction patients can return to work, school, and other day-to-day activities about one week after their procedure. However, you will be advised to avoid strenuous physical activity, especially lifting heavy objects, for at least a month after the procedure. It is likely that you will experience some tenderness and discomfort throughout the first month after your breast reduction surgery. Over-the-counter pain medications can help alleviate this discomfort. Dr. Ourian will monitor your healing during follow-up appointments and will give you specific instructions for the recovery process.
It is not uncommon for patients to combine their Beverly Hills breast reduction with other body contouring procedures.
In some cases, patients may choose a breast reduction as part of their mommy makeover. A mommy makeover is a highly customizable treatment which combines two or more procedures to address the changes that occur in the body as a result of pregnancy and breastfeeding. Commonly, these may include a tummy tuck, liposuction, or labiaplasty, among other procedures.
Some breast reduction patients may also choose to combine the procedure with liposuction to ensure a balanced silhouette. Many patients undergoing breast reduction have liposuction of the excess fat in under the arm pits at the same time. Additionally, liposuction may be used to remove fat from areas such as the thighs, abdomen, back, or arms to create a more toned appearance.
The cost of a breast reduction in Los Angeles will vary depending on factors including the extent of your surgery and the expertise of your surgeon. In addition, geographic location affects the cost of a breast reduction.
However, breast reduction surgery may be covered, fully or partially, by your health insurance. This depends on your insurance provider. Typically, you must demonstrate that a breast reduction was medically necessary because of symptoms associated with your large breasts, such as neck and back pain, or skin irritation under the breast crease.
Frequently asked questions
- Can a breast reduction be combined with a breast lift?
- Dr. Ourian always combines his breast reduction procedure with a breast lift. This means that after a breast reduction, your breasts will be reduced in size and droopy or sagging breasts will be lifted to a more youthful position. This is particularly true for patients with reduced skin elasticity and downward pointing nipples.
- Can I breastfeed after a breast reduction?
- Breastfeeding after a breast reduction is possible, but it depends on the surgical technique that is used. Many modern breast reduction techniques are designed to give women the greatest chance of successful breastfeeding after surgery. If this is a concern, let Dr. Ourian know, and he will discuss options available that may help you maintain your ability to breast feed following a reduction.
- Does breast reduction surgery cause scarring?
- The incisions made during breast reduction surgery will result in scarring. However, these incisions are typically hidden around the areola and under the breast crease, and may be barely noticeable. Additionally, there are steps you can take, both during and after the healing process, to help minimize scars. Dr. Ourian will give you detailed instructions for your recovery period, which will help you heal properly and minimize any scarring.
- What is a scarless breast reduction?
- No matter what technique is used, a breast reduction does result in scars at the incision sites. However, in Dr. Ourian’s signature Los Angeles Scarless Breast Reduction procedure, the incisions are made carefully around the areola, vertically down the middle of the breast and under the breast crease, so that any resulting scars can be unnoticeable and inconspicuous.
- When will I see my final results after a breast reduction?
- Although you can see your breast reduction results immediately after surgery, you can expect to see your final results and resolution of all swelling within 3 months after surgery.
- Can liposuction be used for breast reduction?
- Although liposuction can be used for breast reduction, it will not address the excess skin typically see in patients with large breasts. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Ourian to discuss options for your personalized breast reduction surgery.
- Is breast reduction surgery covered by insurance?
- Whether or not your insurance will cover breast reduction surgery depends on the purpose of the surgery. Some patients choose to undergo breast reduction surgery for functional purposes, such as to correct back pain or skin irritation under the breast. In these cases, breast reduction surgery may be covered by health insurance. If you are choosing breast reduction for strictly cosmetic purposes, health insurance will not likely cover the procedure.