While many cosmetic procedures are designed to create a more youthful appearance, many people are self-conscious of their “chubby cheeks”. A fuller face shape is often because of buccal fat pads, which are the fat pads that naturally occur deep within the cheeks. To reshape the contour of your face and create a more defined look, Dr. Ourian offers his signature Los Angeles buccal fat removal procedure.
Buccal fat removal, also known as cheek reduction surgery, chubby cheek surgery, or buccal lipectomy, is a procedure which removes the buccal fat pad, which is the fat within the hollows of the cheeks. The purpose of this procedure is to lessen the appearance of “baby face” or “chipmunk cheeks” and to create more defined facial contours and angles. Dr. Ourian is known for being the best buccal fat removal surgeon Los Angeles has available.
Buccal Fat Removal
At A Glance
Average Cost: Call Us
Surgery Length: 1 Hour
Recovery Time: 3 Days
The typical buccal fat removal candidate wishes to remove fat from the cheeks in order to alter the proportions of the face for a slimmer and more chiseled profile, as well as more sculpted cheekbones. Before undergoing the procedure, you should be at a stable and healthy weight and a nonsmoker. It is also important that the patient has not seen natural fat loss in the face as they age, which can take place as early as the twenties, as removing buccal fat for these patients can result in an aged, gaunt appearance. Dr. Ourian will determine your candidacy for this procedure through a The typical buccal fat removal candidate wishes to remove fat from the cheeks in order to alter the proportions of the face for a slimmer and more chiseled profile, as well as more sculpted cheekbones. Before undergoing the procedure, you should be at a stable and healthy weight and a nonsmoker. It is also important that the patient has not seen natural fat loss in the face as they age, which can take place as early as the twenties, as removing buccal fat for these patients can result in an aged, gaunt appearance. Dr. Ourian will determine your candidacy for this procedure through a comprehensive consultation.
Dr. Ourian’s signature Beverly Hills buccal fat removal is typically performed under local anesthesia in the office and is a relatively simple procedure. The cheek area is numbed up using a local anesthetic. An incision is then made inside the mouth on the inner portion of the cheek. Through these incisions, the buccal fat pad will be removed. When this is complete, the incisions are closed using absorbable sutures.
After buccal fat removal in Los Angeles, patients may feel some discomfort and swelling. You may use cold compresses to reduce swelling, and Dr. Ourian will prescribe pain medication to ensure your comfort during the early stages of the recovery process. Patients may also be required to keep a liquid diet and use a mouth rinse during the first couple days after the procedure. For most, normal day-to-day activities can be resumed the next day after the surgery, or sometimes even the same day as surgery. Dr. Ourian will monitor your healing and give you detailed directions for your recovery process during postoperative appointments.
Buccal fat removal may be combined with other procedures which contour the face. For example, some patients may choose to combine their buccal fat removal with a rhinoplasty, to improve the balance between their cheeks and nose. A rhinoplasty is also known as a nose job, and serves to change the shape, size, or projection of the nose.
Another possibility is neck liposuction, which surgically removes stubborn fat through the “double chin” area, or Kybella, an injectable treatment which does the same.
Finally, buccal fat removal may be combined with a lip fillers. Lip augmentation may be surgical using a patient’s own fat or completed using injectable fillers, and serves to increase the size of the lips while creating a more pleasing, full and plump shape.
The cost of buccal fat removal in Los Angeles varies greatly depending on factors including your geographic location, the expertise of your surgeon, and the extent of your surgery. Dr. Ourian performs the arguably the best buccal fat removal Los Angeles has to offer, and his team will advise you of a more specific cost for your procedure after a thorough consultation.
Frequently asked questions
- Does buccal fat removal help with a double chin or jowls?
- While buccal fat removal results in an overall slimmer face, it will not reduce the presence of a double chin or jowls. For patients with these concerns, other procedures may be more suitable in conjunction with buccal fat removal, including a facelift, necklift or neck liposuction.
- Is buccal fat removal permanent?
- After the buccal fat pads are removed, the fat will not return, even if you gain weight in the future. It’s important to maintain a stable weight for your overall health, and you may see increased volume in your face if you do gain weight, however, the contour of your face should remain more or less the same.
- What causes buccal fat?
- Larger buccal fat pads are simply caused by genetic factors, not necessarily your overall health or weight. People who are otherwise slim or athletic may have larger buccal fat pads simply due to genetics, while others may note that their cheeks fluctuate in proportion to their overall body weight.
- Will I have any scarring?
- All incisions will be made inside in the mouth, so there will be no visible scarring.
- Does buccal fat removal hurt?
- Your inner check will entirely numb after being injected with a local anesthetic, much like going to the dentist. As such, you will not experience any pain during the procedure.