While most people are careful to treat their face with great care throughout their lives, the neck is often ignored. Many people are surprised to find that the neck can reveal signs of aging even faster than the face does through loose, sagging skin as well as wrinkles and fine lines. This is often because even though you may be diligent about moisturizing the face and applying a daily SPF, the neck is overlooked. Fortunately, a neck lift is an effective way to treat this area and restore a youthful appearance. Dr. Ourian, a fellowship trained plastic and cosmetic surgeon, is proud to offer the best neck lift Beverly Hills and Los Angeles patients can obtain.
A Beverly Hills neck lift, also called a cervicoplasty or platysmaplasty, is a surgical procedure designed to tighten and reshape the neck in order to address common signs of aging such as excess fat, jowls and skin laxity. A neck lift is an effective way to address signs of aging in the neck and jawline, in order to regain a smooth, youthful profile.
At A Glance
Average Cost: Call Us
Surgery Length: 2 - 4 Hours
Recovery Time: 7 - 10 Days
The typical neck lift candidate wishes to address signs of aging in the neck such as sagging, skin laxity, a double chin, jowls, or the so-called “turkey neck.” However, they do not see significant signs of aging in the face and cheek area, which would require a facelift or mini facelift instead.
Before choosing a neck lift, you should be generally healthy overall. It’s also mandatory that you are also a nonsmoker. Before undergoing a neck lift, Dr. Ourian will determine whether you are a suitable candidate during a thorough consultation.
There are two main incision types in performing a neck lift, depending on the amount of laxity in the neck. The first type of is performed by making an incision around the ears and along the hairline towards the back of the neck, similar to a mini facelift. However, this incision is typically shorter than the traditional facelift type incision. The second type of neck lift is small incision under the chin. Through these incisions, the tissue of the neck is repositioned and excess fat may be removed or distributed to different areas. The muscles of the neck are also tightened and repaired if necessary, and liposuction may be used. Finally, the skin is re-draped and excess skin will be trimmed away. When this is complete, the incisions will be closed. A neck lift is generally performed under general anesthesia.
Immediately after neck lift surgery, it is typical for bandages to be placed around the neck and over incisions to minimize swelling and bruising as you heal. Drains may also be in place to prevent swelling or improper healing, which are usually removed on that day after surgery. Dr. Ourian will prescribe pain medication to alleviate any discomfort during the first several days after your procedure. It is important that you avoid bending or twisting the neck during early stages of recovery, as this can damage the skin and jeopardize your results. To minimize swelling, it is also important that you keep your head elevated as you rest.
If signs of aging in the face are less severe, you may instead choose to pair your neck lift with an injectable treatment. Wrinkles that are the result of repeated facial expressions, typically around the eyes or on the forehead, can be treated with Botox, which relaxes the muscles in the face. Wrinkles through the midface or around the mouth, such as nasolabial folds, are often the result of lost volume. For these patients, dermal fillers such as Juvederm can help to restore volume and soften fine lines and wrinkles, especially around the mouth.
The final cost of a neck lift in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills will vary depending on the extent of your surgery, type of neck lift, the time required in the operating room, among other factors. Thus, the average cost for neck lift in Beverly Hills can vary. Dr. Ourian’s patient concierge team will give you a more specific total cost for your procedure after completing a thorough consultation.
Frequently asked questions
- What is the best age to have a neck lift?
- There is no specific age which is best to have a neck lift. Determining whether a neck lift would be beneficial depends on the visible signs of aging and skin laxity in the neck. These can occur at different ages for different patients depending on genetic factors, lifestyle habits, or other factors. The average age group for a neck lift procedure is between 40 and 70 years old, with the mid-fifties being the most common.
- Will I have scars after a neck lift?
- Neck lift incisions do result in scars; however, these are typically inconspicuous because they are concealed within the natural creases of the skin. Following Dr. Ourian’s directions carefully during the healing process will help ensure you have the least visible scarring possible.
- How long do neck lift results last?
- The results of your Beverly Hills neck lift should be long-lasting, but aren’t considered permanent because the natural aging process will continue. On average, you can expect results to last between 10-15 years.
- What is a Nefertiti neck lift?
- Named after the Queen of Ancient Egypt known for her beauty and sculpted neck line, a Nefertiti neck and jaw lift, or a Botox neck lift, is non surgical procedure which involves injecting Botox into various muscles of the neck and jawline. This rejuvenates the angles of the jaw and smooths out of neck, resulting in a more youthful, tighter and contoured neck without having to go under the knife. The results are temporary, lasting on average 3 to 6 months. Dr. Ourian, an Ivy-League trained plastic surgeon, provides arguably the best non surgical neck lift Beverly Hills has to offer.
- What about a male neck lift?
- A neck lift in men can also be performed with the same techniques as in women. Another technique, used almost exclusively in men, is called a “direct neck lift” or “TZ plasty.” During this procedure, the double neck or “turkey gobbler neck” is directly excised and the two ends are carefully sutured together, leaving a very short inconspicuous scar down the middle of the neck. This procedure is much quicker to perform, with a shorter recovery time when compared to traditional neck lifts.