Despite countless crunches or hours on the treadmill, even the most athletic individuals may struggle to achieve a “six-pack abs” look due to genetics and stubborn pockets of fat in the abdominal region. For these patients, Dr. Ourian’s signature Beverly Hills abdominal etching can create the look they’ve dreamed of achieving and enhance the muscles that they have worked hard to build. Dr. Ourian is proud to provide the best abdominal etching Los Angeles can lay claim to.
Our Los Angeles abdominal etching surgery is a targeted form of liposuction designed to give patients the “six-pack abs” look while toning and sculpting the waist. Fat deposits below the skin in the abdomen are strategically removed to enhance the abdominal muscles and make them appear more prominent, rather than simply create a slimmer appearance.
At A Glance
Average Cost: Call Us
Surgery Length: 1 - 5 Hours
Recovery Time: 3 - 7 Days
Patients who are at a healthy and stable weight and are in good health overall typically make good candidates for abdominal etching. The procedure is best suited to patients who are committed to following a balanced diet and exercise routine, but are seeking extra definition for their abdominal muscles. In addition, some patients who have already undergone liposuction or a tummy tuck may be candidates for abdominal etching to further define their abdominal area. Dr. Ourian will review your goals, general health, and the treatment area during a thorough consultation appointment to determine whether you are a good candidate for abdominal etching.
Before your abdominal etching procedure, Dr. Ourian will mark the treatment area so that you can get an idea of what your results will be like. Once you and Dr. Ourian are satisfied with this plan, you will prepare for surgery. This includes being placed under local or general anesthesia according to Dr. Ourian’s recommendation and your preference.
Once anesthesia has taken effect, Dr. Ourian will make small incisions in the treatment area so that a cannula can be inserted. The cannula is then used to break apart fat cells and strategically remove fat from the marked areas to enhance the abdominal muscles. With this step completed, incisions are closed using sutures and dressings and a compression garment are applied. This compression garment should remain in place throughout your recovery process for 6 weeks.
What is Abdominal Etching Recovery Like?
If you have had general anesthesia during your abdominal etching procedure, you will need to arrange for a family member or trusted friend to drive you home after the surgery. Immediately after the procedure, you should continue to wear your compression garment according to Dr. Ourian’s directions. Swelling and some discomfort are both normal after abdominal etching. Most patients require about 1 week to recover before they can return to work and their normal routines. You should also wait at two to three weeks before resuming your exercise routine. Dr. Ourian will advise when you can return to various activities and monitor your healing through follow-up appointments. Most patients begin to see full results from their Beverly Hills abdominal etching about 6 months after the procedure.
Dr. Ourian’s Beverly Hills abdominal etching is sometimes paired with or performed after a tummy tuck. A tummy tuck is designed to reduce loose skin and tighten the abdominal muscles for a toned and slimmer appearance, and is often chosen by patients who have lost a significant amount of weight or been pregnant.
Other patients may wish to pair abdominal etching with liposuction for other areas of the body. Liposuction is useful for removing stubborn areas of fat from many places throughout the body. Some of the most common areas include the back, hips, flanks, thighs, upper arms, or below the chin.
Abdominal etching may also be paired with a Brazilian butt lift, or BBL for men. A Brazilian butt lift is a fat grafting procedure which removes fat from the abdominal area, sides, back, and hips using liposuction. This fat is then transferred to the buttocks to create a lifted, rounder, and athletic appearance.
Dr. Ourian is the absolute best! I had plastic surgery done with him and I am thrilled with the results. He was there with me from the beginning to the end. Dr. Ourian is not only compassionate towards his patients he is also like a friend. He is always available and answers all my questions! Highly recommended him!!
The final cost of your abdominal etching procedure depends on factors like the extent of your procedure and the type of anesthesia used. Dr. Ourian’s patient concierge will give you a more specific cost estimate of your abdominal etching procedure following your consultation appointment.
Frequently asked questions
- Is abdominal etching permanent?
- Because fat cells do not regenerate, abdominal etching results in permanent removal of fat. However, it is still possible for patients to gain and store weight in other areas, which can compromise their abdominal etching results. For this reason, it is important to maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine so your results are long-lasting.
- When can I exercise after abdominal etching?
- Abdominal etching patients should be careful not to put pressure on the abdominal area or lift heavy objects, including weights, for at least two weeks after the procedure. It is generally recommended to wait about 1-3 weeks before resuming an exercise routine, and to start with a gentle routine to see how you feel before moving on to more rigorous or weight lifting exercise. Dr. Ourian will answer any questions you may have about your specific exercise routine during a consultation and follow-up appointments.
- Is abdominal etching safe?
- Liposuction has been in use for many years, and the procedure is considered safe. As with any surgery, there are risks. This can be avoided by choosing a trustworthy, qualified plastic surgeon and following their instructions carefully through the recovery process.